Jennifer Chen Tran is an agent at Bradford Literary, joining in September 2017. She represents both fiction and non-fiction. Originally from New York, Jennifer is a lifelong reader and experienced member of the publishing industry. Prior to joining Bradford Literary, she was an Associate Agent at Fuse Literary and served as Counsel at The New Press. She obtained her Juris Doctor from Northeastern School of Law in Boston, MA, and a Bachelors of Arts in English Literature from Washington University in St. Louis.
Jennifer understands the importance of negotiation in securing rights on behalf of her authors. She counsels her clients on how to expand their platforms, improve on craft, and works collaboratively with her clients throughout the editorial and publication process. Her ultimate goal is to work in concert with authors to shape books that will have a positive social impact on the world—books that also inform and entertain.
Select titles that Jennifer has represented: THE SHARP END OF LIFE by Dierdre Wolownick (Mountaineers Books); THE PEACHED TORTILLA COOKBOOK by Eric Silverstein (Sterling Epicure); THE ART OF ESCAPING by Erin Callahan (Amberjack); MATCH MADE IN MANHATTAN by Amanda Stauffer (Skyhorse); A CROWDFUNDER’S STRATEGY GUIDE by Jamey Stegmaier (Berrett-Koehler).
Jennifer is very interested in diverse writers and #ownvoices from underrepresented/ marginalized communities, strong and conflicted characters who are not afraid to take emotional risks, stories about multi-generational conflict, war and post-war fiction, and writing with a developed sense of place. In non-fiction, she loves books that broaden her world view or shed new light on ‘big ideas.’
In short, Jennifer is looking for:
- Women’s Fiction (Contemporary, Upmarket, Literary)
- Select Young Adult (must have distinct voice)
- Select Middle Grade
- Graphic novels and visually-driven projects
- Non-Fiction, particularly in the areas of:
- Narrative non-fiction (biography, current affairs, medical, investigative journalism, history, how-to, music, pop-culture, travel)
- Cookbooks & culinary projects
- Lifestyle (home, design, beauty, fashion)
- Business Books (social entrepreneurship, female and/or minority-led businesses, and innovation)
- Select memoir with an established platform
- Relationships and Psychology
- Mind, body, spirit
Jennifer is NOT looking for:
- Children’s picture books
- Science Fiction, Fantasy, Urban Fantasy
For fiction and nonfiction, see our agency submission guidelines. Electronic submissions only to firstname.lastname@example.org